Perk up with this vanilla latte coffee granita. It’s a simple recipe that was submitted by J J Parchman as a Sweet entry in our Snackable Recipe Contest several years ago. J J said, “This granita is so very light and fresh! It is delightful in summer but, once you taste it you will make it all year round. It’s the perfect end to a heavy meal or light snack. The coconut milk adds a depth of flavor and texture that makes this dessert so satisfying.”
This Coffee Granita is a Like a Frozen Vegan Vanilla Latte
Today we’re giving JJ’s recipe a big update! And I have a few tips:
- Sweetener: Plain, granulated sugar is the most seamless in coffee. But of course, you can substitute your favorite sweetener. Just make sure it dissolves well in coffee. And keep in mind that alternative sugar-free sweeteners do not behave the same when frozen. Sugars help to soften the granita slightly, making it a touch easier to scrape. Also, JJ uses 1/2 cup of sugar, which is on the “just sweet” side. 1 cup will make it very sweeet. You can add to taste, keeping in mind that it will taste a little less sweet once frozen.
- “Cream” Alternatives: Full fat canned coconut milk gives this coffee granita a rich finish. If you want a lighter constency, but with the same latte vibe, you can use lite canned coconut milk, your favorite dairy-free milk beverage for making lattes, or your favorite creamer.
Special Diet Notes: Vanilla Latte Vegan Coffee Granita
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
Vegan Coffee Granita (Vanilla Latte Style)
Author: J J Parchman
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 cups strong brewed hot coffee
- ½ cup to 1 cup sugar, to taste (JJ uses just ½ cup)
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a 2 quart freezer-safe container, stir together the coffee and sugar until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Whisk in the coconut milk and vanilla.
- Let the mixture to cool to room temperature, or chill it in the refrigerator.
- Freeze the mixture for at least three hours, stirring every half hour. Use a fork to scrape crystals if needed.
- When the mixture is firm, use a spoon to scrape granita into dishes and serve. If the mixture becomes too hard to scrape, allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Orange Crème Option: Increase the vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons, and add 1 teaspoon pure orange extract.
Serving size: ⅛ recipe (about ½ cup) Calories: 65 Fat: 1.4g Saturated fat: 1.3g Carbohydrates: 12.9g Sugar: 12.9g Sodium: 6mg Fiber: 0g Protein: .3g
More Dairy-Free Treats for Coffee Lovers
Dairy-Free Dalgona Coffee Whip for Barista-Style Drinks
Butter Pecan Dairy-Free Iced Coffee
Vegan Kahlua Coffee Ice Cream